Thousands feared killed in Indonesia quake

      Thousands of people were feared killed in an earthquake measuring 7.6 on the Richter scale near the city of Padang on Indonesia 's Sumatra Island on Wednesday. A disastrous relief spokesman said, at least 200 are dead and thousands are said to be buried under the rubble. According to reports, the death toll is likely to rise because there are many people still trapped in buildings, shops and hotels. A medical team is pressed into service and a field hospital had been set up as hundreds of people were suffering serious injuries. Health Minister Siti Fadilah Supari said the quake was one of the biggest in Indonesia in recent years. The quake struck off the western coast of Sumatra Wednesday afternoon. A 6.2 magnitude aftershock followed 22 minutes later. A second earthquake was recorded shortly before noon (AEST) today in Padang , Indonesia . The 7.0 magnitude earthquake struck 150 km south of the epicenter of last night's quake. Reports quoted Disaster Management Agency spokesman Priyadi Kardono, as saying that 500 buildings in Padang , located on the western coast of Sumatra , had collapsed or were badly damaged. The extent of damage in surrounding areas is still unclear due to poor communications," he added. Authorities expect the death toll to rise dramatically. News.com.au quoted the Department of Foreign Affairs as saying that it had received one report of an Australian requiring consular assistance and is attempting to contact Australians registered in Padang . Padang is a popular destination for Australian surfers heading to the nearby Mentawais Islands . The tragedy comes just a day after an earthquake and tsunami hit Samoa and American Samoa , killing 113 people, including four Australians.

Custom Search



Home    Contact Us
NOTE:
 Free contributions of articles and reports may be sent to indianewstimes@yahoo.com
DISCLAIMER
All Rights Reserved © indiatraveltimes.com